On April 12, 1981, Gabbard was born in Leloaloa, Ma’oputasi County, on Tutuila, the largest island of American Samoa. She was the fourth of Carol (née Porter) Gabbard and Mike Gabbard’s five children. Gabbard’s family relocated to Hawaii in 1983 when she was two years old, having previously lived there in the late 1970s.
Carol Porter Gabbard
Carol Porter Gabbard is an American politician who was born in December 1950 in Decatur, Indiana. Her parents were William Irwin Porter and Elsie Louise Keimig.
She was raised in Michigan where she received her education. She is now an educator and a business owner. Carol describes herself as a Hindu.
She is quite famous for being the mother of Tulsi Gabbard, an American politician, and the wife of Mike Gabbard, a Democratic senator from Hawaii.
Carol has been married to Gerald Michael ‘Mike’ Gabbard for more than 50 years. On December 27, 1968, in East Grand Rapids, Michigan, the pair exchanged vows.
Carol Porter Gabbard and Mike Gabbard first met in 1967 in Yosemite National Park, California.
They were both employed in the Camp Curry Cafeteria at the time. Mike worked as a cashier, while Carol was a waitress.
She was first asked out on a date by her husband. She defeated him by a score of 6-0, 6-0 when they went tennis playing on their first date at the Ahwahnee Hotel Courts.
Even after 52 years of marriage, the pair remains deeply in love. Currently, the couple resides in Kalaeloa, Hawaii.
There are 5 kids total in the family. In addition to two girls, Tulsi and Vrindavan, Carol and Mike also welcomed three sons, Bhakti, Jai, and Narayan.
Their children have all grown up and are succeeding in their fields. Among their five children, their fourth child, Tulsi Gabbard, stands out.
At age 21, she was elected as a member of the US Senate, making history as the youngest woman and politician in Hawaii. Additionally, she also started running for president in 2020.
America’s Legislator Parents of the Year 2016 were presented to Carol and her partner on August 5, 2016, at The Arbor Ballroom of The Washington Times.
What is Her Net Worth?
- Carol Porter Gabbard worked at the Hawaii State Board of Education for four years till 2004.
- She also had her own toffee business named Hawaiian Toffee Treasures. She ran the business from 1998 to 2017.
- Her toffee was famous as the best Macadamia nut English toffee in the world. Mike claims it was his extraordinary talent as the official taster that made their toffee business successful.
- In 2007, Carol co-founded a nonprofit organization called, Aloha Parenting Project to educate and support parents to raise responsible and productive children.
- In addition to these, she has also worked as the Secretary/Treasurer of the Science of Identity Foundation until 2000.
- Besides, she has also helped her husband run his businesses such as Mike’s Sport Shot (1974 –1978), Natural Deli (1988 – 1992), Talofa Services LLC (2013 – Present), and Infotech Communications LLC (June 2002 – April 2004).
- Although we know about her work experiences, we are unsure about her financials.
- Meanwhile, her fourth daughter, Tulsi Gabbard boasts an estimated $500,000 as her net worth.